Monday, September 29, 2008

Thankful for Angels....

Yesterday, September 29th, was the Feast Day of the Archangels, Michael, Raphael & Gabriel, while the Guardian Angels are celebrated on October 2nd. During school, Sophia and I read the accounts of Angels from our picture Bible, The Beginners Bible, prayed the Guardian Angel prayer at the beginning of school, colored assorted angel pages, and planned to make an Angel Food Cake. Little did I know how real an angel would be to us...
We went to the grocery store to get the cake mix after lunch. As I was putting Nicholas into his car seat, the grocery cart in which Will & Sophia were standing tipped over off of the sidewalk onto the pavement of the parking lot. Sophia seemed to be okay, but Will was face down on the pavement. When I picked him up, he had a nasty red abrasion on his forehead. I took him straight to the doctor's office to have him checked out. He cried when it happened, but then settled down, talked all the way in the car, and walked into the doctor's office on his own. The PA checked him over thoroughly. He basically ended up with "road rash" on his forehead.

I couldn't believe it! By all reckoning, he should have had some serious head trauma. I firmly believe his Guardian Angel was working overtime for him. Praise the Lord!

Now, before you say anything, I know it was really my fault as they should not have been standing in the cart. (I had them in the cart to contain them in the store.) I think in the future it will be easier to convince them that- if they do end up in the cart - they should SIT.

When we got home from the store and the doctor's office, we made the Angel Food Cake to celebrate the Angels' Feast Day. We also fashioned St. Michael's swords and helmets from card board boxes. Will thought the sword was great fun. He ran around the rest of the day fighting the "bad angels."

Here are some photos of the kids with their armor....
The helmet sort of hides the head wound!

This is Sophia's fierce, red-eye look!

2 comments:

Dawn said...

Okay, maybe I'm a computer idiot 9(okay, I KNOW I am), but where are the photos??

I'm glad Will is okay...I know my kids' guardian angels have been very busy at times!

Emily K said...

thanks for reminding me - need to get those pix on!
Em